Concept Refinement

AICE Media Studies AS

Portfolio Project Concept Refinement

Fall 2020

CATEGORY

DETAILS

Film OR Magazine

Film

Genre

Thriller/Drama

Target Audience (Be specific)

Young people

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard)

Young man or woman struggling with a constant melody on loop in their head. At the beginning of the film the melody will be a happy melody with what is being seen on film as a person enjoying their day. As the film progresses things will get much darker. I plan on pitching the melody down a little bit as the film moves on to give the melody a darker outlook. You will see the struggles this individual is going through and how the melody is turning this person insane. At the end of the film I would like to signify a way sign of hope or not all is lost.

How did you conceive the idea for this concept?

Overwatch Sigma reveal trailer

What do you believe is unique about your concept?

I do not believe a film other than the sigma reveal trailer has been done about this. Other than the melody stuck in the individuals head, I will not be having a sci fi character that can control gravity be apart of my film.

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience?

I believe this is a unique idea that young people might want to see. Young people now adays listen to lots of music and can understand the frustration of having “earworm” and may want to see how someone may cope with having chronic earworm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Need to focus more on the concept of the whole movie and not the first few minutes.

Might give away the whole concept of the movie.

 

 

            My concept is about a individual that has a melody that is on constant loop in his or her head (the actor will depend on who I think will be best). This constant melody being played in the individuals head is causing them to slowly go insane. I categorized my movie under the genre thriller/drama, looking at the bigger scope of the movie this person would more be dealing with the people around him and to not succumb to temptations. The top grossing movies according to The Numbers, which is a data collection website for movies, tells us that contemporary fiction is the top grossing creative type which is what my movie idea would fall under. Also, drama is the third top grossing movie genre and thriller/suspense is the fifth top grossing movie genre. Looking at these number shows me that my movie concept would be a hit in todays major movies. The feedback I received after giving the pitch of my movie was positive, but I am going to focus on the constructive criticism I received. I was told that I might give away the entire concept in the few minutes we receive for the project rather than creating an opening scene for the movie to hook the viewer in. I also did not think of the movie as a whole film and I only thought about the first few minutes. There is more concept refinement that I need to undergo before I can think about the opening scene.

            For my movie it is less about the enjoyment that is received from the movie that you might get from super hero movies like The Avengers, it is more about the meaningful experience you get from the film. According to the article “Exploring the Role of Meaningful Experiences in Users’ Appreciation of “Good Movies”” by Mary Beth Oliver, tells us the movie “Life is Beautiful” is less about the enjoyment received from the movie but more about the meaningful experience gained from watching the movie. Movies that end in a powerful message can be box office hits just like movies that you get enjoyment out of. Oliver tells us that “Appreciations seems to be associated with genres such as dramas…”. My film is half drama and I know from my concept that I can conceive a powerful message that will leave viewers in awe. My focus during the actual making of the film is to not give away too much of the whole movie by still giving off that message.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogue

Post Production 1

Filming