Creativity and Genre

 

Creativity and Genre

            Creativity is arguably the most important part of our project. Creativity is what will get us a passing grade, you cannot have something generic that uses classics clichés. Recently in class we watched a Ted Talk about creativity called the Theory of Creativity. During the Ted Talk Duncan Wardle talks about the “river of thinking” this river is just our regular way of thinking which is our barrier to creativity. He the explains to us his time at Disney and how he asked a group of Disney architects to design a new building. Wardle also asked the chef to design the building, all the architects made something regular but the chef made something that was out of the “river of thinking”. Duncan is telling us that we need to think differently when approaching new ideas and this directly correlates to our project we are working on. We can’t think about this project in a lateral way we need to think in an innovative way. During class we were tasked to look for a way to introduce our selves differently, I choose animals. An example is, I am like a dolphin because I am playful. This activity made us think differently because we normally do not introduce ourselves like this. Activities like this help you to think creatively and I even had a little trouble by the end thinking of different animals that I am like. Creativity can still strive during constraints like the activity we did in class where we were constrained to a specific way of introducing ourselves. In the interview with Ron Beghetto, who is an internationally recognized expert on creative thought, tells us that even in math class where creativity is constrained and you are looking for a specific answer. Teachers can still encourage students to look for other ways to find the answer and to think differently. Creativity is the most important part of this project.

            For my short film I find it hard to pick a genre it falls under, this was hard for me because I could not think of what genre my short film would be. Although I could pick two movies’ styles I would emulate. My first movie I picked was “The Dark Knight” directed by Christopher Nolan. This movie may be a superhero movie but it is not the reason why I picked it, I picked “The Dark Knight” because of the way Nolan presents Gotham to the viewer. At the beginning of the movie nothing is wrong with Gotham, it’s a normal city where crime now has to hide during the night because of the Batman. Once the Joker, who is the main antagonist of the movie, is introduced Gotham changes. The city becomes more chaotic, more crime driven. In my short film I want to emulate this way by starting off as everything being okay but by the end things start to deteriorate. The other movie I picked is “Silver Linings Playbook” which is about a former teacher struggling with anger issues. In my short film I am looking to do something with mental illness and the actors Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence do a fantastic job of showing the struggles they go through coping with their mental illnesses. In this movie I looked at the actors at not the style of the editing and directing. I want my actors to emulate this style to show how tough it is to deal with a mental illness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogue

Post Production 1

Filming